Thursday, November 17, 2005

Now is the winter of my discontent

Winter is upon us. I know this because my flat is absolutely freezing. Ducking out of the rat race without actually completing the necessary renovations was in many ways a tad foolish. Sarah Beany would have a few words to say about it as my planning and hard work has resulted in a camping stove to cook from and one radiator to warm three rooms.

When I first bought this place my family came to visit and before I could say DIY SOS they'd pulled up the carpet and torn down all the wallpaper in my bedroom. Sadly, they never put anything in their place and, well, neither have I. Two years on and my bedroom is still bleaker than Bleak House and colder than a witch's tit. There is no radiator, the floor boards allow the cold air to seep up from through the air bricks and the secondary glazing installed by the twat who lived here before leaves alot to be desired in terms of craftmanship (staple gunned) and functionality (cold air whistling through in a somewhat ghostly manner). The radiator was pulled out about 8 months ago and won't be replaced until the week after next.

The long and short of it is that it's absolutely freezing. Will I ever feel my toes again?
|