Monday, September 05, 2005

A message from the unknown

My home phone rang this evening and I ignored it because I was watching a film. I often do this. There are times I just want to have to myself and so I shut the front door and block out the outside world until I'm ready to rejoin it.

Once the film had ended I checked my messages to find the following from an unknown Scottish man in his late twenties or early thirties.

"Hi Jen. Sorry I haven't been in touch. I've been in Brighton all weekend visiting Inger. There's something I need to tell you. Love you."

He sounded regretful, downbeat, beaten and aprehensive all at once.

This message has intrigued me. What has he got to tell her that he sounds so regretful about? Perhaps he and Inger had a big fight. Perhaps Inger is an old friend of them both and he has some bad news about her. For my money, though, this particular Scotsman has been a naughty boy. I've heard that tone of voice before.

Poor Jen... whoever she is.
|