Wednesday, February 15, 2006

The Modern Valentine

Valentine's evening. The moon was out in full. It looked beautiful rising above the heath as we stood breathless under the warm glow of a park lamp. The heat from our bodies warmed the space between us and my cheeks flushed as words struggled to escape from my constricted throat. I looked at him, my eyes a window to my inner turmoil. He held my gaze level with his, betraying nothing but the steely strength that burned within him. I wanted to give him what he demanded of me, what was his right, but my courage was failing and I was sure that I would let him down in the end.

"NUMBER 61," he shouted at me, breaking through my reverie. "DROP DOWN AND GIVE ME TEN!"

I'd been day dreaming again.

British Military Fitness may not be every single girl's alternative for a Valentine's day treat for herself. Society dictates that if you're single, you should be at home with a fine bottle of wine, some good company and a few choice DVDs or out on the pull with the girls, having a laugh and basically getting a bit mucky.

Bored!

So there I was with the other hardy single folk of South East London. We remarked on our dwindled numbers and joked about how those regulars that were Missing In Action were probably getting stuck into an altogether different type of exercise at home. And then we ran. We ran some more. We raced each other, did sit ups, burpees, press ups, squat thrusts, used all the muscles in our bodies, all under the watchful eye of members of Her Majesty's infantry.

It was great! God knows why, but it was!
|